Comparison Between: France and Italy
Both France and Italy provide excellent studying facilities, courses, universities, and other attractive options for international students. But both the countries have different education systems and cultural experiences including job opportunities, placement, cost of studying, and more. While both the countries have excellent education systems for international students there are still various factors you should consider that will help you make a more well-informed choice from your career's point of view.
Higher Education Systems In France & Italy
Comparing France and Italy's education systems is important to understand the facilities both countries have. Here are some differences between France and Italy institutions.
- Public Universities: These types of University offer academic, technical, and professional degrees in various disciplines.
- Grandes Ecoles: These are both Public and Private institutes that offer specialized courses of 3-year.
- Specialised Schools: These type of schools have both Public or Private institutes that offer License and Master degree programs in various disciplines.
- State Universities: These are Public Universities for higher education. State University provides undergraduate and graduate academic courses in various disciplines.
- Non-State Universities: These institutions are privately owned. Non-State Universities are recognized by the Ministry of Education and provide undergraduate and postgraduate courses.
- Superior Graduate Schools: These are specialized and autonomous schools for higher education. Superior Graduate Schools provide degrees on graduate and postgraduate level.
Top Universities In France & Italy
According to a survey conducted by Time Higher Education there are 39 French Universities which are among top universities in the world. In addition, there are a total of 36 Universities for higher education in Italy which feature in the QS World University Ranking list.
Top 5 Universities in France
Here are the top five universities in France with their QS World Rankings in 2022:
|Institutions||QS World University Rankings 2022|
|Institut Polytechnique de Paris||49|
|Université Paris- Saclay||86|
|Ecole Normale Superieure de Lyon||130|
Top 5 Universities in Italy
Here are the top five universities in Italy with their QS World Rankings in 2022:
|Institutions||QS World University Rankings 2022|
|Politecnico di Milano||142|
|University of Bologna||166|
|Sapienza University of Rome||171|
|UUniversity of Padua||242|
|University of Milan||316|
Popular Courses To Study In France & Italy
Both France and Italy offer a wide range of programs in different disciplines to international students. Here are the top courses to study in France and Italy:
|Popular Courses in France||Popular Courses in Italy|
|Medicine||Business and Management|
|Finance||Social Science and Humanities|
|Pharmacology||Fashion and Design|
|Art History||Interior Design|
|Physcology||Arts and Management|
|International Economics||Mechanical Engineering|
|Global Communications||Computer Science Energy|
Admission Requirements In France & Italy
The eligibility for higher education in both France and Italy are quite easy for all the international students. Below mentioned details about the eligibility criteria will help you decide whether France or Italy has a better education system.
- You must have a proof of high school qualification certificate.
- Minimum score or GPA requirements differ from university to university and from course to course.
- You need to submit a French or/and English proficiency test to take admission in any Bachelor's, Master's or Doctorate courses.
- Statement of Purpose is mandatory for all Bachelor's and Master's degrees in France.
- It is mandatory to submit GMAT, GRE exam scores for Master's courses in France.
- Entrance exam may or may not be compulsory for taking admission in any degree program in France.
- In the case of any Master's course you are required to submit a research proposal.
- You must have successfully completed upper secondary studies and have a valid school leaving certificate with a minimum of 59%.
- Most of the Bachelor's level programs in Italy are only offered in Italian, and you may need to prove your language proficiency through a certified language test.
- English proficiency test scores of TOEFL, IELTS and PTE or Italian proficiency test are mandatory to submit for any Bachelor's or Master's degree program.
- Students may have to give entrance exams for some courses to get admission in Italy.
- For any PhD program in Italy you need to submit a research proposal.
Cost Of Studying In France & Italy
Here is the average cost of studying in France and Italy
|Study Programs||Tuition Fees In France Yearly (EUR)||Tuition Fees In Italy Yearly (EUR)|
|Bachelor's Degree||400 to 2,770 EUR||900 EUR to 4,000 EUR|
|Master's Degree||600 to 3,770 EUR||3,000 EUR to 35,000 EUR|
Cost Of Living France & Italy
Apart from tuition fees, one more important thing that you should take care of before applying to either France or Italy for higher education is the cost of living and other daily expenses which includes traveling, food, accommodation and more.
|Expenses||Cost Of Living Per Month France (EUR)||Cost Of Living Per Month Italy (EUR)|
|On-Campus Accommodation||300 to 600 EUR||400 EUR to 700 EUR|
|Off-Campus Accommodation||1,200 to 1,800 EUR||750 EUR to 1000 EUR|
|Food||200 EUR to 390 ERU||250 EUR to 360 EUR|
|Public Transportation||80 EUR to 100 EUR||25 EUR to 35 EUR|
|Miscellaneous||200 EUR to 300 EUR||100 EUR to 200 EUR|
Scholarships Offered In France & Italy
Listed below are some scholarships which students can avail each year to study in France and Italy:
|France Scholarships||Italy Scholarships|
|Eiffel Scholarships in France||Italy University Scholarships|
|ENS International Selection Scholarships||Bocconi Merit and International Award|
|Emile Boutmy Scholarship||Padua International Excellence Scholarship Program|
|Universite Paris- Saclay International Masters Scholarships||Italian Government Scholarships for Foreign Students|
|Ampere Excellence Scholarship for International Students||Politecnico di Milano Merit Scholarships|
Student Visa Requirements In France & Italy
Below are detailed information on student visa requirements for both France and Italy.
Student Visa for France
- Apply for a French student visa online by creating an account on campus France.
- Fill the application form and upload the required documents. And pay the campus France fees.
- Your application will be chosen on the basis of your application and the institute you have applied for. If accepted you receive a mail to your campus France account.
- You have to go for a Visa appointment interview after the interview you will give interview completion certificate and other hard copies of the documents
- You need to submit the documents to VFS along with your biometric details and after the completion of the process you can collect your visa from the same.
- Academic Transcripts
- Language test scores (TOEFL & IELTS)
- French Proficiency test score
- Valid Passport
- Cover letter
- Proof of Funding for your course
- Proof of Accommodation/housing
- Institute Acceptance letter
- Medical Insurance
- Passport size photos
Student Visa for Italy
- Apply to your preferred university in Italy and wait for a letter of acceptance.
- Choose the student visa depending upon your course
- Download the application form from the Visa Application Centres (VAC) and you can apply for an Italian student visa online.
- Schedule an interview with the nearest VAC
- Visit the VAC along with your biometric details and documents
- You will get a confirmation mail once your Visa is approved.
- Italy student visa application form
- Valid Passport
- Proof of enrollment
- Letter of acceptance from your university/institute
- Proof of financial requirements
- Proof of accommodation/housing in Italy
- English language proficiency test score
- Certificates of higher secondary education
- Passport- size photographs
- Receipt of visa application fee
Job Opportunities In France & Italy
Apart from a significant higher education system both France and Italy have various job opportunities for international students. Students can get work experience in various fields. Below are some of the job opportunities both these countries offer.
|Popular Jobs In France||Average Salary Annually (EUR)|
|Finance and Business||48,000 EUR|
|Hospitality and Tourism||40,000 EUR|
|Popular Jobs In Italy||Average Annual Salary (EUR)|
|Fashion Designer||55,000 EUR|
|Construction Manager||60,000 EUR|
|Program Project Management||50,000 EUR|
|Civil Engineer||40,000 EUR|
|Design Architect||30,000 EUR|
PR In France & Italy
Getting a permanent resident permit in France has some mandatory criteria. If you wish to get a permanent resident permit in France you must have lived in France for 5 years, fluent in French and aware of French rights and cultures. Applying for PR in France is an easy process if you match the following requirements. Students who wish to stay back in France can avail opportunities for work, which has grown which has become a key factor for international students to consider this country.
To apply for permanent resident permit in Italy you need the long-stay visa. An Italian residence permit can only be applied for when you are already in Italy. There are different types of residence permits in Italy you can apply for working, studying, or family reunification visas. If students wish to stay back in Italy the PR process is fairly easy.
Hopefully, the comparison between Italy and France about their higher education system and other facilities will help you make a better and informed decision for your career.