Canada Student Visa: A Complete Guide
The Canadian student visa is also called a study permit; it is for students who wish to get enrolled in any professional, vocational, full-time or training courses there. Students need to get a study permit before they enter Canada to study their desired course in any institute. Students will get their Canadian student visa (study permit) upon arrival in Canada. However, students first must apply for a temporary resident visa to be able to study in any Canadian institute and get a study permit. Getting a Canadian student visa is a very simplified process compared to many other countries.
Key Considerations for a Study in Canada Visa
- Meeting academic standards.
- Fulfilling financial requirements.
- Demonstrating proficiency in English through exams like IELTS or TOEFL.
Canada Student Visa Categories
Below mentioned are the Canadian student visas. Eligible international students can opt for any of the following visas depending on the visa category:
- SDS Visa (Student Direct Stream Category)- SDS student visa application is for those international students who are legal residents of India, Antigua and Barbuda, Brazil, China, Pakistan, Colombia, Costa Rica, Morocco, Philippines, Peru, Senegal, Saint Vincent, Trinidad and Tobago and Vietnam. Students can apply for this visa if they are enrolled in any post-secondary designated learning institution in Canada.
- NON-SDS VISA (General Category)- NON-SDS visa application is for every student. Students belonging to various countries can apply under the non-sds visa category. In addition, students from the SDS country category, including India, Antigua and Barbuda, China, Brazil, Colombia, Pakistan, Costa Rica, Philippines, Morocco, Peru, Senegal, Saint Vincent, Vietnam and Trinidad and Tobago can also apply under the non-sds visa category if they do not meet the sds visa requirements.
studying abroad and working law for international students, all the students holding a study permit can work for 20 hours per week off campus. If any student violates this guideline, they may lose their student status and will not be granted another work or study permit in the future. However, during the holidays or breaks like summer, winter or spring, students can work for more than 20 hours per work.
Cost of Study in Canada Visa
The average cost of a Canadian student visa is around CAD 150. The students have to pay the visa fee at the time of the application filing. The fee is payable in cash at the VFS center or online through a MasterCard, VISA or any other credit card.
Documents Required to Abroad Study in Canada
There are some important documents that students need to submit while applying for the study in Canada. Below are all the important documents that students needs to submit before applying for the visa:
- Proof of acceptance from (DLI) or from any Canadian institute or university.
- Valid visa application.
- A medical certificate that proves you are in good health. Students have to undergo a compulsory immigration medical examination.
- Proof of scholarship or funding for your study program if any.
- A police verification certificate that proves you have no criminal background.
- A proof showing you have a place to stay in Canada or have paid housing fee (if it requires in your case)
- Financial Evidence: Students need to provide proof of funds that claims that you have enough funds in your bank account to pay the tuition fee and living expenses in Canada. According to the Canadian immigration rules you also need to have enough funds for a return fair in your bank account.
A single student coming to Canada without family members or guardians would require CAD 10,000 every year to bear the living and other expenses in Canada (without tuition fee).
Students also need to submit the following docs:
- Visa application fee receipt.
- Custodian declaration (in case of a minor)
- Proof of English proficiency test TOFEL, IELTS.
- Letter of explanation why you want to study in Canada.
- Statement of purpose
- Passport size photograph
- Academic documents and other transcripts
- Proof of identity
- Birth certificate
How To Apply For a Study in Canada Visa
Students can follow these steps to apply of a study abroad permit in Canada:
- Step 1: After getting the letter of acceptance students can apply online to fill their visa application.
- Step 2: Students can go to the official Canadian immigration website and make their account to apply for a study permit.
- Step 3: After making the account students have to fill their necessary details in the application form like, personal information, educational background etc.
- Step 4: Students must scan the digital copies of their documents and photographs to attach with the application form.
- Step 5: After filling in the details and attaching the scanned documents students can pay the visa application fee online through credit card. It is vital to keep the receipt of every payment you make as a proof.
Premium Visa Services
Once students have given their biometrics at the VAC it takes around 20-25 days to process the Direct Stream Visa Application. If students meets the eligibility criteria and their documents are in place the visa application gets approve within 4-6 weeks. But if the visa application does not meet the direct student stream requirement it is viewed as a regural visa and it can take more time to process. However, students can avail premium visa service to get a fast respond on their study permit.
Where to Apply for Studying in Canada
Even after finishing and filling the visa application form online students have to schedule an appointment or visit their nearest VAC to give their fingertips and photographs for biometric purposes. Biometric fee for the applicant is CAD 85.
Lastly, we hope this article have provided you with all the necessary information regarding the Canadian study permit. If you have any more queries regarding the Canadian student visa get in touch with us now!