A German student visa is required for every foreign or international student who wishes to study in any full-time, part-time or certificate course in a recognized institute or university in Germany. It is vital to understand the requirement of a German student visa if you are a student from a non-EU or non-EEA country. Students must apply for a German student visa before starting their application for their desired institute. Getting a German student visa is an easy process. Applicants can apply for different types of student visas according to their study abroad program.
Germany Student Visa Categories
Below mentioned are three different types of German student visa categories. Eligible international students can apply for any of the following visa categories, and it will grant them the permit to live in Germany for the duration of their course:
- Common German Student Visa: The German student visa is the main and the most type of student visa. It is for international students who have been successfully admitted to any full-time course in a German institute.
- Language Course Student Visa: This visa is for international students who have taken admission in any language preparatory course that lasts four months to one year.
- Student Applicant Visa: Student applicant visas are for international students who haven't received confirmation from their desired German institute on their admission process or for those who haven't chosen their course or study program yet.
As per the international students working guidelines in Germany, study in Germany all international students are permitted to work for 120 full days or 240 half every year. Moreover, international students can not be self-employed or work as a freelancer in any firm or company in Germany. However, if students want to work more hours, they need permission from the (Federal Employment Agency) and the (foreigners office). This regulation is in place to ensure that students have ample time to focus on their studies while still having the opportunity to gain work experience during their study in Germany experience.
Cost Of Visa
The average cost of a German Student Visa is 75 EUR. Students can pay the visa application fee at the time of visa form filling by doing a bank transfer in the name of the Embassy in their home country. Credit card or cheque payments are not accepted for a German student visa.
Here is the list of all the important documents that students must have while applying for a German student visa:
- Proof of enrollment or acceptance letter from the German university
- Completed visa paperwork
- Evidence of a health insurance certificate
- Proof of residence or housing
- Financial Evidence: Students must show proof of their funds in their bank accounts. Proof of funds is needed to ensure that the student can meet Germany's living and studying expenses. Students must have a block account with a balance of at least EUR 10,332 as proof of funds. If the student is going on a scholarship or the parents cover the cost, evidence for that is also needed.
The living costs that students need to take care of in Germany is around EUR 860 a month, excluding the tuition fee.
Students also need to submit the following docs:
- Visa application fee receipt and valid passport
- Academic certificates
- Proof of English proficiency test TOFEL, IELTS
- Passport size photograph
- Birth certificate
How to Apply For The Study Abroad Visa
These are the steps that students need to follow to apply for the German student VISA:
- Step 1: Students need a letter of acceptance from the recognized German institute and proper funds in their blocked bank account to meet the expenses.
- Step 2: Having a valid national passport is necessary.
- Step 3: Make your account on the official German student visa website.
- Step 4: Fill in all the necessary details in your visa application, including personal information, study background details, scanned photographs, signature etc.
- Step 5: Students must schedule an interview at the German embassy in their home country after completing the form. And the visa fee is submitted in a demand draft at the time of the interview.
- Step 6: After the interview, students must wait for their visa application decision.
Premium Visa Services
The German student visa is mostly processed within 4-12 weeks after the interview, but if students need early processing on their visa application, they can opt for premium visa services.
Where tO Apply
- To meet the biometric requirements, students can visit their home country's nearest Federal Republic of Germany embassy. For instance, New Delhi, Chennai, Mumbai etc.
Lastly, If you want further information regarding the visa process, get in touch with us now!