14 Jul 2022 | Three Best Countries to Go For MS in Computer Science (UK, US, Australia)
Computers and automation have given shape to a world that is driven by efficiency and convenience. With the rise in computers and technology, more and more students are aspiring to do computer science courses. Every year millions of international students apply for computer science courses in globally recognized universities.
The MS in computer science is offered at several universities and colleges across the world. So it becomes a little tricky to decide which country and university to choose for pursuing a master's in computer science. Moving to a foreign country is not just about getting admission to an institute, but a lot of factors go into deciding the best choice of country. Candidates must think through all the facets of study abroad and should not leave the scope of any risk. Things like the reputation of the college having an impact on your resume, how many doors of employment does the institute open for you, etc., are some of the primary reasons students would choose one university over another.
You can not make the decision about the right college overnight. Hence, we have provided a few pointers to give you an understanding and insight into the salient things you must keep in your mind before you shortlist a country for studying MS in computer science.
Factors to Consider While Pursuing Computer Science Course Abroad
Some of the significant factors to keep in mind when you decide to study computer science overseas are:
- Accessibility of computers and network services - Though most colleges possess advanced computer labs for their students, it is crucial for international students to know other forms of access to computers and network services. You must have backup devices and computers since your college work would invariably involve the processing of large data batches. As students progress in their studies and learn the framework of computer systems, they would also need to take help from technicians. Even if the faculty members are the primary source of providing education, network and computer service providers can enrich your knowledge with additional learning and even offer hands-on experience.
- Health services - We all know that a computer science degree requires rigorous hours of study abroad which is often accompanied by sitting for long hours. This could pose many health and mental issues, and having health service providers easily accessible on campus becomes a necessity for students.
- Support groups and academic clubs - A successful career in computer science requires you to have people and organizational skills. To be a good leader or a team player, it is imperative that students engage in various academic clubs and support groups to inculcate such skills.
Three Best Countries to Pursue an MS in Computer Science
Your success in a computer science higher degree depends on many factors, and one of the most important is the destination country. Though many states and countries offer a computer science course, it is extremely important that you do the course from a top-performing country and institute. We have listed the top three countries below along with the best universities in these countries for studying abroad MS in computer science,
The United States of America
The success of computer science as an independent field of study owes it to the US as the country has greatly aided several prominent technological breakthroughs, such as the beginning of the Space Age. Due to this, the US is by far the leading destination for computer science degrees for students around the world. Apart from academic excellence, the colleges in the US offer extensive support services for international students, a flexible curriculum, a huge variety of educational options, CPT and OPT that provides hands-on training, generous funding, and much more. The US is home to some of the top-notch universities and one of the strongest employment sectors in the world. In most of the universities in the US, students can intern and work for twenty hours a week to support their education charges. To get admission to any of the US colleges, you need to provide proof of English proficiency like TOEFL(a score of 79 overall) or IELTS (overall 6 to 6.5.) Some of the best universities in the US, along with their approximate course fees are listed below:
- Harvard university - 36,000 to 39,000 USD.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology - 42,000 to 44,000 USD.
- Stanford University - 38,000 to 40,000 USD.
- California State University - 28,000 to 32,000 USD.
- Southern Illinois University - 26,000 to 30,000 USD.
The United Kingdom
The MS course duration in the UK is not only shorter than in other countries but they are also extremely intensive. Students can graduate sooner in most of the UK colleges (usually within a year) with the highest quality education. The short duration helps both in saving time as well as money in tuition fees and living expenses. Among universities that are ranked in the top 100 around the world, the UK stands second highest. By choosing to do MS in computer science from the UK, students can explore Europe and also gather immense knowledge from UK universities. Students can do part-time jobs (twenty hours a week) while they are in the midst of a semester and full-time jobs during vacations to support their educational and living expenses. As proof of English language proficiency, colleges in the UK accept test scores like IELTS (overall 6 to 6.5) or PTE (overall 59.) We have collated some of the best universities for MS in computer science, as seen below:
- The University of Oxford - 10,300 to 36,000 pounds.
- The University of Nottingham - 11,000 to 20,000 pounds.
- The University of Birmingham - 20,000 to 24,000 pounds.
- The University of Glasgow - 14,000 to 21,000 pounds.
- Birkbeck, University of London - 13,000 to 15,000 pounds.
- University of Salford - 12,000 to 19,000 pounds.
The degrees obtained from Australian universities are internationally recognized and valued by employers and academics all over the world. The master's degree in Australia is of three types; Traditional Academics Master, Professional Development Masters, and Professional Masters. The difference between these three is as follows:
- You can specialize in a particular area if you go for a professional development master's.
- Students who have a non-professional or general background can opt for a professional master's degree and get trained in and qualify for jobs in a specific field.
International students must fulfill the requirements set by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection of Australia. You also need to show a bank balance of 10 lakh INR or more in the first year of your study in Australia. Some of the best universities in Australia to study MS in computer science are:
- Queensland University of Technology - 28,000 to 34,000 AUD.
- The University of Adelaide - 28,000 to 30,000 AUD.
- The University of Sydney - 30,000 to 32,000 AUD.
- University of Canberra - 32,000 to 36,000 AUD.
- The University of Melbourne - 30,000 to 32,000 AUD.
There is an abundant scope of computer science degrees all over the world. Students get placed at extremely highly paid jobs, and the career progression is tremendous. But doing computer science from one of the top-notch universities of the world has its own edge over others. If you want to secure a fulfilling career by studying MS in computer science from any of the universities listed above, then you must start working on your English proficiency exams as well as GRE scores.